Adelaide
Lucien and I have talked many times of doing a trip of some sorts into South Australia. In particular we were interested in visiting the Flinders ranges. It looks like adventure riding paradise with folds of Millenia old rock worn away by erosion to a line of hills stretching over maybe 450 km from north to south. The highest point is just over 1000m but what they lack in height they make up in scenic beauty of the stark variety. Red and orange rock set against a backdrop of desert scrub, interlaced with little sandy river beds, and at times views into the far distance.
So when the opportunity came to travel to Adelaide for a conference it seemed wrong not to take our chance. Lucien had to do all the heavy lifting and together with Melissa has driven 18 hours from Sydney through floods and road closures with both bikes in the ute. That’s after a mammoth packing job that took several days! I just flew in. It’s not really fair to be honest.
So here I sit in the lovely parkland opposite the Adelaide cricket oval enjoying a sunny but chilly morning. I’m not sure yet but I think this may be my favourite Australian city. Bigger than what I expected but full of interesting little alleyways and lots of green on the edge of the city. And lovely old stone buildings.
Tomorrow morning we have an early departure, driving 500km to Wllows station in the Southern Filnders. Can’t wait. 




Comments
Post a Comment